06 February 2008

Observations of a Caucus

Politics, while never a favorite thing of mine, has become part of my life through the newsroom I work in. Some people really enjoy the American political process; I am not one of those people, mainly because my experience with it is from the ground perspective of a young newspaper reporter who would rather be somewhere else covering something far less convoluted. The 2006 election was a real eye-opener to me, as limited as it was. At my newspaper, we divided up who got to interview who, and I interviewed nearly 20 different political figures seeking 20 different offices. What struck me was the sheer difference between the people. Some had absolutely nothing to say, and others were sharp to the point of oiliness. Where I stand politically has nothing to do with my duties on this level; as a reporter, I am afforded the luxury of sanctioned, sacred neutrality. If 2006 was a pain, 2008 will probably be worse. The fangs come out during any election season, but during a presidential season, the poison comes with them. The advice for a real snakebite is good for dealing with political venom, too, even if you aren't the target: calm the victim, remove any watches or rings that may interfere with circulation, and lower the wound to below heart level. Don't worry - help is on the way.
Here's my take on things: McCain is the only Republican candidate I would even consider voting for, so Romney winning in Minnesota doesn't please me. I dislike him; he strikes me as a good prototype for a Hollywood anti-Christ: Good looking, smooth, but somehow possessing an evil glint in the eye. This isn't to say the real Romney isn't the Anti-Christ; I have nothing personally against the man. I just like McCain more.
Clinton and Obama are still tied? Well, that's nothing new. I'm rooting for Obama. Clinton has simply been in the bed too long, and despite the nostalgia I have for the Clinton years (strictly due to forgetfulness- when he was in office, I was a depressed, angry teenager, about as politically aware as a head of cabbage) I would not want the man in any way connected with the office again. As for his wife, she bears the scent of the well-used grease used to oil the machinery of "Business As Usual" in D.C. - something I think needs to be changed.
As much as I cannot abide George W. Bush, I cannot abide another Clinton in the White House. The Democratic Party will be in trouble if she wins the nomination.

No comments: